20111129

one year

Photobucket

it was about a year ago when i took a photograph of all the cameras i had then owned (and borrowed). last year saw my very first foray into film photography via lomography. while i still maintained digital as my main medium in which i take photographs, the love and curiosity for film photography grew ever so exponentially within me.

fast forward today, i now own seven cameras. the Contax T2 being the absolute catalyst in my pursuit for film photography nirvana. it may not seem like a lot of new cameras in the lapse of one year, but shuffling between cameras always kills me softly inside because there is always this doubt of whether this or that camera would take a better picture of that scenery and many other trivial matters that really shouldn't bother a photographer. what i've learned from shuffling between cameras is to accept that the best camera is the one you are currently using - be it a digital SLR, a point and shoot film camera, or even your cellphone.

in the end, the best camera i had available for me to photograph all my other cameras was my cellphone. honestly, without it i wouldn't have been able to take this photograph.

Photobucket

amidst all the flurry of new cameras, i feel like i should give myself (and especially my wallet) a break from all these new toys and focus on what is truly the most important aspect of owning a camera - the photographs. i'm planning to undertake yet another 365 project in 2012 (which wouldn't be called project 365, but rather project 366), and with seven cameras for me to peruse, it'll be quite a varied project provided i don't repeat myself. it feels like i've worn out all my ideas with last year's project 365, but i'm more than willing to undertake this project once again. i'm not expecting to do light years better than the first project, though. just the thought of taking photos itself gives me some motivation, and maybe an excuse to see places or do things i would've never done.

No comments:

Post a Comment